Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Letter to A Friend

friend \frend\ noun
 1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts. 2. A person whom one knows; an acquaintance. 3. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade. 4. One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement: 


Above is the definition of the word friend from the dictionary. But this isn’t a 1st grade vocabulary lesson, this is a question to the readers and followers of this blog and radio show.  

WHAT IS A FRIEND?
What do you think of when you think of a friend?  A sibling, neighborhood kid, classmate, roommate, teammate, co-worker, family member.  What if I told you a person that I considered a friend, was someone I only knew via Twitter?  This posting is dedicated to the memory of a life taken away from us way too soon.  Steven Smith 24, better known to all of us as @stevensmithy, tragically passed away on Monday Night after being involved in a 3 car accident near Newburgh, NY.  Billy Joel sang in the “Piano Man” “quick with a joke, or a light of your smoke” well Steve was quick with a weather forecast during a Yankees Rain Delay, a simple hello, his own commentary on a potential free agent or trade, he even got me reinterested in watching “To Catch A Predator” on MSNBC every Sunday night with the wit and wisdom of a stand up comic. In the time since I learned of Steve’s passing today, I went through his timeline and found this tweet, sent Monday Night to Seth Davis of CBS….

  Steven Smith 
@ 
@ the vols should not overlook oakland. took MSU to the wire in auburn hills on saturday and summit league champs.
I remember reading this tweet while I was at the Seton Hall Basketball game and saying, Steve’s nuts no way Tennessee who just knocked off #3 Pitt on Saturday Night.  Well Tuesday Night, Steve was right, maybe some divine intervention was in play, but Oakland knocked off Tennesse 89-82.

I found out early this morning that Steve passed away, while I was at the Cemetary visiting the grave-sites of two of the greatest people that I’ve ever met, My Grandmotjher and Grandfather.  I don’t know what made me open up ubertwitter on my phone, but the top update was an artice from timesunion.com.  Author Pete Iorizzo wrote such a great article about Steve that it is truly making this one even harder to write.  http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Online-bond-shattered-by-tragic-accident-902702.php  

In the hours since, I have been fighting back emotions, while trying to plan for What’s Brewin, at times I have thought about leaving the show quiet for 2 hours.  I then think about all of the times that he would direct message me and say hey I want to call in and talk football or baseball with you guys on the show, and my answer was always, the door is wide open for you don’t even knock or ask.  I now regret missing the “Tweetups” at Reade Street Pub and Grill, and not getting together with him at Opening Day this season.  On Monday we lost one of the good guys, a person that I consider a friend although I never got to meet him.  Monday Night at 10 PM Eastern, What’s Brewin will celebrate the life of Steve, Family and Friends are encouraged to call in to talk about the Man, that we all loved as @StevenSmithy

No comments:

Post a Comment